Three-Bean Vegan Chili Recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes
Number of servings: 6 servings (1 serving ≈ 1¼ cups)
Vegan meals built on plant-based proteins are healthy for the body and the environment. This chile is completely customizable. The recipe has a mix of different kinds of beans and colorful vegetables with a ton of flavors; you can alternate the choice of beans, vegetables and spices with others, but try to keep a variety of colours and textures.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1½ tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 can diced tomatoes (not drained)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can garbanzo bean (chickpea), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cups Daiya cheese, shredded (dairy free “cheese”)
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil at medium-low heat and add onions, carrots, yellow bell peppers, garlic, and jalapeño pepper to sauté. Cook for about 5-10 minutes or until the onions and carrots are tender.
- Add chili powder, cumin, and oregano, and stir to combine.
- Add canned tomatoes, water, beans, and salt. Bring to boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and let the mixture simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Serve garnished with cilantro leaves, Daiya cheese, and/or crackers.