Preparing for your Hospital Stay
When you come to stay with us, you will need to bring your Provincial Health Card, any private health insurance information you may have and remember to pack any prescribed or over-the-counter medications or supplements you are taking.
Here are a few other items you might want to bring to help make your stay with us more comfortable.
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Shampoo and soap
- Sanitary napkins
- Hair brush / comb
- Any other personal items
- Pajamas and Dressing gown
For the protection of your personal property we recommend you bring $25 or less for any small items you may need during your visit and leave any valuables at home.
If you must bring something valuable, please remember, Victoria General Hospital is not responsible for any of your items that go missing from your room or other areas of the hospital.
Smoke and Scent Free
We are a smoke-and-scent-free environment. For the protection of our patients, clients and staff please do not bring or wear any scented lotions or perfumes.
- Arrange for transportation home after your surgery. You are not permitted to drive a motor vehicle for 24 hours after your day surgery procedure or endoscopy. You will be released in the company of a responsible adult.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your surgery unless otherwise directed from the nurse in the Preoperative Assessment Clinic or the surgeon or anesthesiologist.
- You may take medications as ordered by your surgeon or the anesthesiologist on the morning of your surgery with a sip of water.
- Do not bring any valuables or jewelry with you.
- Arrive at the hospital two hours prior to your surgery time. Report to the Admitting Department.
- Bring your Manitoba Health Card and other medical insurance cards with you.